‘New pilots, pilots transitioning and those of us with experience ‘on type’ will all benefit from this.’ Tom Turner – American Bonanza Society
‘New pilots, pilots transitioning and those of us with experience ‘on type’ will all benefit from this.’
“If you have trouble visualizing your aim point or the timing and execution of your flare, and your instructor (or another instructor) isn’t successful in guiding you to that enlightenment, consider the following resource:
- David Jacobson’s ‘The Jacobson Flare’, a fee-based iPad app. I met Captain Jacobson (a retired Qantas Airways pilot and training captain) last week at the Australian Bonanza Society’s BPPP, Narromine NSW, and before that took his very informative and high-quality app-based course (Disclosure: He gave me free access so I could see his presentation before we met). New pilots, pilots transitioning from one type of airplane to another, and those of us with experience “in type” will all benefit from this. Tom Turner – American Bonanza Society
- In configuration (flaps set for landing; retractable landing gear extended);
- In alignment with the runway centerline, compensating for crosswind, …by the time you pass through 500 feet above the runway on final approach and continually thereafter, until beginning your flare;
- On glidepath (aim point steady in the correct position in your windscreen) and;
- On speed (recommended or computed landing speed for airplane weight, flap position and gust conditions).
If you do not meet all four criteria consistently for the last 500 feet of your descent, or if at any time in the last 500 feet your aim point indicates you’ll overshoot your aim point (and therefore your planned touchdown point), then GO AROUND – power up, pitch up, clean up and climb away…and set it up correctly next time.”
Executive Director – Air Safety Foundation
Would you care to experience that unsurpassed sense of accomplishment, derived from executing consistently beautiful landings, more often?
Read what pilots of all levels of experience have to say about the Jacobson Flare technique and the App, on our Testimonials page.
Then download the COMPLETE Jacobson Flare app – for iOS or Android. You’re already possibly paying $300+/hour to hire an airplane : You’ll recover the cost of the app, in just ONE LESS-NEEDED CIRCUIT.
Download The Jacobson Flare for iOS devices now.